George Swem, one of the original founders of the Bigfoot Jamboree Died Sep. 7, 2009 in Medford.
George Swem moved to Happy Camp in 1959 with his new wife Luella and Vern and Linda. George worked as a logger before he opened the 76 Union Station and Tire shop in 1960. After selling the staion, he and Luella bought and opened Swem’s Mobile Home Court, running that business until 1969. In 1966, they opened the G & L Tire and Retread shop, owning that business until March of 2003.
George and Luella along with another couple were instrumental in forming the Bigfoot Jamboree. He was a lifetime member of the Elk’s Lodge and a member of the Lions Club and the Happy Camp Square Dance Club.
George loved to travel and fish, especially to Alaska, where he traveled several times with the love of his life, Luella. He also had a love of tinkering. He even built a trailer with hydrolics to haul their Subaru and a Carolina Skiff flat bottom boat over the car.
George’s father and mother were Norman and Lillian Swem. He had two sisters: Norma and Barbara who preceded him in death. He has one brother: Norman who lives in Pennsylvania. He is also survived by three sons: Vern, Mike and Neil and two daughters: Linda and Colleen and numerous grandchildren and great-granchildren.